Terms and Conditions
By using this website, you’re agreeing to these terms. If you don’t accept the terms, don’t ask us to find you a Local Hero. We recommend that you print these terms and conditions from time to time and keep a copy. You should do the same for any terms and conditions given to you by your Local Hero.
We also draw your attention to the following important sections:
- Section 1 – The Local Heroes
- Section 3 – Job booking and cancellation charges
- Section 4 – Payment, and in particular the requirement to pay through the website and not make payment directly to the Local Hero
- Section 6 – Our guarantee backed by British Gas
- Section 7 – Complaints
- Section 8 – Our liability
We last updated this page on the 5th April 2018.
1. The Local Heroes
All Local Heroes are vetted by us and agree to a code of conduct. Details of what we check and the code of conduct can be found on the website.
We act as an introducer between you (the customer) and the Local Hero and these terms are for the use of the Local Heroes website only. The terms on which the work or repair is completed are as agreed between you and the Local Hero.
We remind all Local Heroes to give customers a copy of their terms and conditions, if applicable, when they provide a quote. If your Local Hero hasn’t, please ask before you accept the quote. In the event of a conflict between these website terms and the Local Hero terms, the Local Hero terms will prevail, except in relation to job booking, payment and the guarantee where sections 3, 4 and 6 of these terms will prevail and take precedence.
You should be aware that although Local Heroes will make best efforts to supply a trusted Local Heroes the ultimate responsibility lies with you in ensuring you are happy with the terms on which the work will be completed and that the Hero is equipped to do the work you need.
Specifically we do not:
- Credit check the company or individuals
- Check the bankruptcy history of the individual Local Heroes or directors of the company
- Carry out a DBS disclosure check
- Perform a full risk assessment of each individual Local Hero
- Prove all documentation supplied by the Local Heroes (e.g. Insurance certificates and qualification) to ensure they are not fraudulent
Should you have any doubts with the Local Hero then you should can cancel the job and let us know. We will then investigate the Local Hero and take appropriate action, potentially removing them from our service.
2. Prices shown on this website
Any prices shown on this website are our best effort estimates based on the information you have given us and our data.
The prices are not a commitment to carry out the work at the estimated price.
One of the Local Heroes will assess the work required and provide a formal quote before carrying out the work. You have the right to cancel the work any time before the work is actually carried out, though in some cases a cancellation charge may apply (see section 3 below).
3. Job booking, cancellation and charges
The process for booking a Local Hero is as follows:
- You enter a description of the job you need doing and based on this information we will provide an initial price estimate and, if acceptable to you, will then find a Local Hero to do the work for you
- When you click “Find a Hero” you consent to us sharing your personal information with the Local Heroes in your area to service your request. In the first instance this is limited to your postcode only
- If a Local Hero accepts the job, we’ll match you and at this point we’ll pass on your name, address and contact number, so that the Local Hero can contact you to discuss the request. Depending on the nature of the work request, the Local Hero may be able to provide you with a quote over the phone. Some jobs may require a visit before a quote can be given. This is to be agreed with the Local Hero
- When the Local Hero arrives at your property, they will assess the job and provide you with a quote
- If you accept the quote they will then carry out the work
There are no call-out charges with Local Heroes, however some jobs need a bit more investigation before a quote can be given for the full work. If they need it, your Local Hero will give you a quote for the time they need to investigate, this is a diagnostic fee, not a call out charge. If you choose not to proceed with the work, you will be required to pay the fee. If you do not want to pay the diagnostic fee, either cancel the job or don’t accept the quote.
Once they have diagnosed the issue, they will be able to provide you with a detailed quote for the work, and if you would like to go ahead, you should accept it.
If you need to reschedule your job just ask your Local Hero. Once you’ve agreed another time, your Local Hero will be able to change the date and time and send you an updated booking confirmation.
Cancellation and charges
You can cancel the job at any point of this process, but if you cancel the job after accepting the quote you may be charged either a cancellation charge, reasonable costs for work already carried out or materials already purchased and a restocking fee.
To cover any reasonable inconvenience to the Local Hero, a cancellation charge will also apply if the Local Hero cannot gain access to your premises. In this case, they will call you and wait a minimum of 10 minutes, but leave if they still cannot get access after this time.
From time to time we may ask an independent third party to quality check the work completed by the Local Hero to ensure it is safe and conforms to the latest regulations and standards.
If we choose to quality check the work the Local Hero has done on your property, we will pass your information to our trusted third party to get in touch to arrange a suitable time to visit you. You are under no obligation to agree.
Once the work is completed, you should make payment as soon as possible either with a debit or credit or via Paypal using the link we email to you.
Any payments made through this service are made using a trusted third party – Braintree, a PayPal company. Only Braintree sees your payment details and no payment details are stored by us. The communications between you and Braintree use secure SSL encryption to ensure your transaction is safe.
You should only pay for the work through a payment request from LocalHeroes.com. The link will be sent to you on completion of the work.
Do not pay the Local Hero directly through any other method e.g. cash, cheque or debit or credit card, in person or over the phone. Should you do so; any guarantee for the work will no longer be backed by British Gas and we may not be able to assist if you encounter any issues with the service.
If your Local Hero attempts to encourage you to make payment outside of the platform, please notify us immediately via our website here.
5. Getting into your property
The Local Hero will only work on your property if there’s someone 18 years old or older there at all times during the visit.
It’s your responsibility to give them access to your property. If they can’t get access they won’t be able to complete the work and it’s then up to you to arrange another appointment with the Local Hero.
6. 12 month guarantee
The work carried out and the parts supplied and fitted by the Local Hero are guaranteed by them for a period of 12 months from the date the work is completed, unless you are notified otherwise by the Local Hero, for example if the job is just a temporary fix. Parts that you supply yourself are not guaranteed.
If anything should go wrong, you must first contact the original Local Hero who carried out the job. They must be given a reasonable opportunity to resolve any issues first. If they are not available in a reasonable timescale, then we will find another Local Hero for you. To find out more about the 12 month guarantee backed by British Gas, click here.
This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Acts 2015, if applicable and any laws that replace it. If you want independent advice about your rights, you can speak to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards.
If you wish to make a complaint about the work, you should in the first instance contact the Local Hero directly to try to resolve the issue. If you are unable to get in touch with your Local Hero in a reasonable timescale, please get in touch with us through our Get in touch page and we will do our best to help.
Please note however that as the terms and conditions for the work are as agreed between you and the Local Hero which we are not party to, any dispute or conflict in relation to the condition or quality of the work, or the way it was completed is ultimately your responsibility. We are under no obligation to provide you with a refund or compensation.
8. Our liability
Nothing in these terms limits our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation or for any matter that we cannot exclude or limit as a matter of law.
We provide the website free of charge and on an “as is” basis. We introduce customers to tradespeople to provide the services described on the website, and are not responsible or liable for the end services that are provided.
Therefore, to the extent permitted by law, (a) we disclaim any warranties, express or implied, and (b) other than as set out above, we are not liable for any loss or damage — direct or indirect and whether arising in contract, tort, or otherwise — even if we have been advised of the possibility of this loss or damage.
These limitations don’t affect your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, if applicable and any laws that replace it. If you want independent advice about your rights, you can speak to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards.
9. If we need to talk to you
From time to time, we might need to contact you about your job request or booking. We’ll normally do that over email, which is why we need a valid email address from you if you agree to take a service through us.
10. If you need to talk to us
You can contact us through our Get in touch page on the website
11. Changes to terms
We have the right to remove any service on our website at any time; we may also change the price estimates of the services. We don’t have to give any notice, and if we do remove a service, we won’t be responsible to you.
We also have the right to change these terms and conditions at any time, for example if we change our processes or if there are changes to laws or regulations which require us to update them. The terms and conditions applying to your use of the service will be those in force at the time you request a Local Hero.
12. Intellectual Property rights
The copyright, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights in the material contained on this website belong to us or their licensed owner. This includes database rights, design rights, rights in know-how, rights in inventions (whether registered or unregistered), patents and all rights to apply for registration.
You are permitted to use this material or content only as expressly authorised in writing by us or our licensors. You will not, and you will not assist or facilitate any third party to, copy, reproduce, transmit, distribute, frame, commercially exploit or create derivative works of such material or content. If you become aware of any such distribution or commercial exploitation, you agree to notify us immediately.
The images, logos and names on this website are to identify us, a British Gas company or any other organisation and their products and services. They’re our trademarks or the trademarks of the other organisation. Nothing on this website gives anyone any licence or right to use any image, logo or name.
13. Jurisdiction and laws
The services described on this website are only available in Britain (unless we’ve said otherwise) and these terms and conditions are bound by the laws of whichever country the property for which you require the service is in – England, Wales or Scotland.
14. Monitoring phone calls and emails
We may monitor and record our calls and emails, so we can find out where we need to improve and check we’re keeping to our normal practises and procedures.
15. Who owns this website?
LocalHeroes.com is a British Gas website and belongs to British Gas Services Limited (British Gas). British Gas is a Centrica business.
Our registered office is Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5GD.
Our registered company number is 03141243.
16. Things to know
Although we do our best to check all the information on this website, mistakes do happen – so we can’t warrant that all the information is accurate or complete. We won’t be responsible for checking that the information is accurate or complete, or if any person relies on the information.
We do not warrant that the functions on this website, or which you can access from this website, will be uninterrupted or free from errors, that we will correct any errors, or that this website or the server that makes it available are virus or bug free or represent the full functionality (range), accuracy and reliability of the materials. We are not responsible if you cannot access or use the site due to the failure of any machine, data-processing system or transmission link, any period of maintenance, change, repairs, alteration to or failure of computer systems, any industrial dispute or anything beyond our reasonable control.
How we store, protect and use the information you give us
About this policy
LocalHeroes.com is brought to you by British Gas, which is owned by Centrica plc. Centrica (and all its subsidiary companies) believe it’s important to protect your privacy. So we’re committed to giving you a personal service that meets your needs, at the same time as protecting that privacy.
This policy explains how we’ll collect information about you and then use it to give you a good service. It also goes into the security measures we take to protect your privacy, and expands on a few things that we won’t do.
How we’ll get in touch
When we first ask you for your personal information – or when you get a new service or product from us – we’ll ask you if you want to receive information from us about our other products and services. You can change your mind at any time.
1. How we’ll use your information
1.1 We may use your information to:
- Give you the services you’ve asked for (which might include the loyalty and incentive schemes we run from time to time).
- Offer you accounts, services and products from us or our partners. To do this, we may use an automated scoring system, which also uses information from credit reference agencies and other companies
- Help run and improve our accounts, services and products – ones we’ve provided before, now or in the future.
- Create statistics, test our computer systems, create profiles and marketing opportunities, and analyse customer information. To do these things, we might use information about what you buy from us and how you pay for it. Like what discounts we’ve offered you, for example.
- Help prevent and detect debt, fraud and loss.
- Train our staff.
- Get in touch with you about products and services that we or our partners are offering. That could be by email, phone, text, multimedia message or another form of electronic communication.
- Ask you to review our services
1.2 We may also monitor and record any communications we have with you, like phone conversations and emails.
This is just to make sure we’re providing you with a good service and meeting our regulatory and legal responsibilities.
2. How we’ll get in touch
We’ll use the contact information you’ve given us when we need to get in touch. So we might email you, give you a ring, send a text or use another form of electronic communication. We might even visit you in person.
If we’re getting in touch to tell you about offers, we’ll try and use your preferred contact method. We can stop sending you these offers at any time though, you just have to contact us and give us your details.
3. Passing your information on
3.1 In order to find someone to perform the services you requested, we will first share your postcode and the job details with the Local Heroes in your area in order to find someone.
Once we have matched you to a Hero, we will then pass on your information in order that they can contact you.
3.2 We may allow other people and organisations to use your information (including other Centrica Group companies that use the British Gas, Scottish Gas and Dyno Group brands). Why?
- To give you the services you’ve asked for, which might include giving information to members of your family, household, anyone acting on your behalf or other people who have an interest (like landlords or letting agents).
- As part of our sales process for one or more of the businesses. To help find and prevent debt, fraud or loss (by passing your information on to a credit reference agency, for example).
- To transfer any unpaid debt to another organisation – we’ll have to give them details about you and that debt.
- For legal or regulatory purposes (like if Ofgem or if a lawyers are asks for it). For future legal action.
- As part of government data-sharing initiatives, like those designed to help people who are struggling to pay for heating and electricity.
- As part of any loyalty or reward schemes.
- To help us run our business, including analysing the data we hold, prompting for reviews of our services, processing payments, sending communications, providing us with legal or financial advice
3.3 Occasionally, the other people or organisations we pass your information to might be outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). Because of that, we may pass your information to countries that have different standards and laws about protecting personal information.
If the gas or electricity supply to your property has been tampered with or stolen in the past (or we suspect it has), we may take this into account when we decide what products or services we can offer you – and the terms and conditions we can give you.
3.4 We may pass your information on to organisations that supervise the industry, like GasSafe and the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA). This includes your address, postcode, and information about your gas appliances, flue, hot water cylinder, system controls, electrical installations, repair and removals.
These organisations may then pass this information on to local authorities to meet building regulations. Or they might contact you to inspect your appliances or systems, recall faulty products, carry out audits or for health and safety reasons. Wherever it’s appropriate, we’ll give you or the property owner (or both) a certificate to show that your appliances and systems meet building regulations.
We may also pass your information on to an independent third party to quality check the work completed by the Local Hero to ensure it is safe and conforms to the latest regulations and standards.
3.5 If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you’re confirming that you’ve given them the information in this policy, and that they’ve agreed for us to use their information in the way we describe here. If you give us sensitive information about yourself or other people (like health details or details of any criminal convictions) you agree – and confirm the person the information is about has agreed – that we can use this information in the ways set out here.
3.6 You’re entitled to have a copy of the information we hold on you and you can have any inaccurate information corrected. We may charge a small fee for providing a copy of any information we hold about you. If you’re interested, talk to our privacy team at:
Centrica Privacy Team Lakeside West 30 The Causeway Staines TW18 3BY
Or email us at CentricaDataProtection@Centrica.com.
4. Protecting your information
We have strict security measures to protect your personal information. This includes following our security procedures (like checking your identity when you call us) and encrypting all the data on our websites.
5. The internet
If you talk to us over the internet, we may occasionally email you about our services and products – unless you said you’d prefer us not to when you first gave us personal information through our website. If you don’t want us to send you these emails anymore, send us an email (to the address below) to let us know.
Remember that communications over the internet like emails and webmails (messages sent through a website) aren’t secure unless you’ve encrypted them. These kinds of messages may go through a number of countries before they are delivered. That’s just the nature of the internet, so we can’t accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information if it’s beyond our control.
We may use ‘cookies’ to monitor how people use our site. This helps us to understand how our customers and potential customers use our website so we can improve things like layout, function and design.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a piece of information stored on your computer’s hard drive that records how you’ve used a website. The next time you visit that website, it can tailor your options based on the information it has stored about your last visit.
How do I stop using cookies?
You can normally alter the settings of your browser to prevent it from accepting cookies, or to tell you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer. (But you might not be able to use some of the products or services on our website without cookies).
Have a look at our cookies policy to find out more about cookies and how to manage them.
This website has links to other sites and recommended suppliers. We’re not responsible for the privacy practices of those sites. This policy only applies to what’s on the British Gas website.
8. Further Information
Data Protection Manager Privacy Unit – Legal, Centrica plc Lakeside West 30 The Causeway Staines Middlesex TW18 3BY.
Or email us at CentricaDataProtection@Centrica.com.
We may amend this policy from time to time. When that happens, we’ll publish the amended version on our website. But you can email or write to us to ask for a physical copy.
What are cookies?
Cookies are what websites use to improve and personalise your visits to that site in the future. They’re used by websites, apps and mobile sites to ‘remember’ you – either just for one visit (a session cookie) or for repeat visits (a persistent cookie).
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages easily, storing your preferences, and generally improving your experience of a website. It’s all to make the interaction between you and the website faster and easier.
A cookie is a simple text file that’s stored on your computer (or mobile device) by a website’s server. Only that server will be able to see what’s on that cookie.
Each cookie will contain anonymous information like your unique identifier number and the
site you’re visiting, along with some other digits and numbers. This information lets the website remember things like your preferences, or what’s in your shopping basket. So each cookie is unique to your browser.
What cookies does our website use?
- Strictly necessary cookies: to let you move around the site and use all the basic features.
- Functionality cookies: to improve the way the site works by storing your preferences.
- Performance cookies: they give you a better user experience of our website.
Strictly necessary – The cookies we need to keep our website working properly.
These cookies let you move around the website and support all our essential features like secure areas, shopping baskets and online billing.
They’re not for gathering information, remembering your preferences or advertising products or services to you – they’re just to let you move around the website. If you disable these cookies, you might not be able to use our website properly, so we may not be able to provide some services to you.
Performance – The cookies that collect information about how you use our website.
Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website. They keep track of the pages you visit and any errors you come across, for example. They don’t collect any information that could identify you, though – all the information they collect stays anonymous. We only use that information to improve how our website works, understand what interests our users and measure how effective our advertising is. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Functionality – The cookies that provide services and remember your settings.
Functionality cookies are used to provide services or to remember your settings (like layout, text size, font, and other parts of our website you can customise) to improve the way you use our website. Things like online surveys, web chat and your settings are supported by functionality cookies.
The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they can’t track your how you use other websites. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Turning cookies off
- Remove cookies from your hard drive.
- Set your browser to block cookies.
- Set your browser to send you a warning notice before a cookie is stored on your computer.
- But remember that you might not be able to make the most of our website (or other websites) without cookies – some functions need cookies to work. But turning off cookies isn’t permanent. You can also go into your settings to change them back and use everything on our site properly again.
Discounts and Promotions
- SPRING10 offer is for 10% off all jobs booked through Local Heroes from 7th March until 9th March 2018 23:59 GMT, up to a maximum discount of £50
- For jobs that exceed £500 (including VAT), the discount amount will be capped at £50
- Discount is not available on Repair & Cover bought from British Gas
- To apply the discount, simply enter the code SPRING10 on the payment page. A link to the payment page will be emailed to you once the work is complete
- This discount code cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers
Our Service Promise
- Eligible on jobs booked before Monday 19th March within the WV, B or BS postcodes
- Eligible only to selected customers booked after Monday 19th March. You’ll get the £25 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card if your Local Hero arrives at your home outside of your booked timeslot. Heroes must attend your property to qualify
- If your Local Hero is late just contact us to claim this offer. We’ll send the gift card to the email address you gave when you booked the job
- Offer may be withdrawn at any time
- Amazon.co.uk is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon.co.uk Gift Cards (“GCs”) may be redeemed on the Amazon.co.uk website towards the purchase of eligible products available on www.amazon.co.uk. GCs cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash or applied to any other account. Amazon.co.uk is not responsible if a GC is lost, stolen, destroyed or used without permission. See www.amazon.co.uk/gc-legal for complete terms and conditions. GCs are issued by Amazon EU S.à r.l. All Amazon ®, ™ & © are IP of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
- Limited to one gift card per customer